Our aim is for schools, colleges and other institutions to provide a stimulating curriculum for their pupils, with relevance to real world situations and help promote the career opportunities the maritime and shipping sectors offer today. We will be constantly updating this section with items that are free to use for anyone in educational institutes. If you have any relevant information that you are happy for us to share with others please contact us and we will be delighted to add you to this section.
- As an island nation we depend on sea transport extensively.
- British Shipping is the fourth largest business sector contributing £2.6bn p.a. to the country’s economy
- 96% of the UK’s imports are exports are carried by sea
- The Shipping Industry employs 25,000 people at sea and 17,000 shore jobs (for instance in ports, harbours, maritime education, maritime law, insurance and commerce and shipping companies).
- The Merchant Navy is vital in times of national crisis and forms the ‘fourth arm of defence’
- There are over 1,600 ships in the British Merchant Navy
Click below for the British Marine Secondary School Teachers pack.
Click below for the British Shipping Careers guide
Blackpool and The Fylde College
School of Maritime Operations
Fleetwood Nautical Campus, Broadwater, Fleetwood Lancashire FY7 8JZ
Tel: 01253 352352 Fax: 01253 773014 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org www.blackpool.ac.uk